The NFSP (Nordic Special Needs Education Organization) acts as an umbrella for cooperation between organizations in the Nordic countries set up to further the interests and causes of special education. The presidency of the Union rotates between the Nordic countries. In 2014 – 2016, Iceland is its home base.
The object of the Union is
– to further cooperation between member organizations in matters concerning special education
– to monitor developments in the area of special education in the Nordic countries and beyond, and to act concertedly with teachers’ organizations on Nordic and international levels
– to disseminate information on Nordic issues in special education
– to discuss topical issues in Nordic special education
– to organize a Nordic Conference on special education at intervals of three or four years, in close collaboration with national and local authorities.